Today, UnshakeableBelief.com provides a list of our favorite goal setting techniques. We hope you’ll find these helpful when charting your journey. Let us know what works for you and your favorite goal setting principals.
Goal setting is an excellent tool/resource to get what you need or want in life. This is an overview on the topic touching on the main principles.
1. Use the K.I.S.S. method (Keep it simple Superstar!). It is easy to over analyze and complicate things. Keeping the goal setting process simple and consistent is highly effective.
2. Begin with the end in mind. What is the outcome you desire to create? The destination is the goal. A lot of people get tripped up focusing on the activities or steps and goal setting around those. Set goals based on the end result you want to create and focus on that. When you do this, opportunities present themselves to assist you along the way. If you only focus on the planned steps to the end result you can miss other great opportunities which are outside of what you are expecting.
Based on the law of attraction you attract into your life whatever you give your attention, focus and energy to. What do you want to create? Do you want to achieve a step toward the goal or the goal itself? For example, do you use goal setting to book the airline ticket, or spend a week at Disneyland? Which of these are likely to get you excited?
3. Set S.M.A.R.T. goals.
- S = Specific: Clearly define what it is you want.
- M = Measurable: Include a way to measure your progress
- A = Aggressive & Attainable: Aggressive enough to inspire and motivate us and makes the goal worth achieving. Yet it’s within your capabilities.
- R = Relevant: Do you care enough about the goal to make it a priority? Set goals you care about. (Really did I have to say that?)
- T = Time-Specific: Give it a deadline. A goal without a deadline is a wish.
4. Write your goals down and read them every day. Write it in present tense and in a short, clear and concise way.
- For example:
- I weigh a lean and healthy 150 lbs. on or before July 30, 20xx.
- I easily earn $ 10,000 per month on or before August 15, 20xx.
5. Examples of Types or categories of goals
- Family and / or Relationship
- Health and Fitness
- Business or Career
- Community / Charity (What difference do you want to make in the world)
- Education and Personal Development
- God / Spiritual
- Recreation / Free time / Hobbies
There are many books written on the topic if you want to do further study on the subject.